Wednesday, March 3, 2010

a tasty-crawly southern africa delicacy

The photo above is of a delicacy found here in southern Africa called Inswa (in Zambia it's called inswa... I'm not sure what it's called in Malawi). This insect comes out during the rainy season in large numbers. Locals, like my family in Pemba, capture them, fry them, salt them, and eat them up. Some Zambians and Malawians even eat Inswa in handfuls like peanuts. You can buy a bag of these buggers for approximately $0.50 US on street markets and just go wild. At first, I was a little grossed out... but being true to my principles I gave it a try and, not surprisingly, I ended up loving them! I finished a bag full! Though apparently they're extremely fattening. I'll lay off the fried insect diet for a while... need to stay fit!

Malawian boys trying to sell us bags of inswa as we drove by

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I heard bugs were high in protein. How could they be fattening? Don't get that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you and your adventurous eating style!

    ReplyDelete