
As Canadians, what comes to your mind of when you think of Africa? Poverty? HIV/AIDS? Based on my time here so far, the latter is definitely the elephant in the room. When I first arrived, I expected to visually see signs of the epidemic but instead, I saw nothing but smiling Zambians remaining optimistic about life. However; to my surprise, statistics show that 1 in every 7 people I see everyday in Zambia are living with HIV. The disease is definitely hidden and stigmatized. The seriousness of the silent killer is suppressed by its taboo nature and Zambians tend avoid any discussions or admissions of status. Even though, the percentage of those known to be HIV positive is much higher in urban areas as compared to the rural
villages, the faceless disease knows no boundaries. I have only been here for a mere 3 months and I unfortunately have already attended 3 funerals. The causes of death were disclosed as malaria, however, there is talk that it was in fact HIV/AIDS. Some in the older generations even blame it on witchcraft!
villages, the faceless disease knows no boundaries. I have only been here for a mere 3 months and I unfortunately have already attended 3 funerals. The causes of death were disclosed as malaria, however, there is talk that it was in fact HIV/AIDS. Some in the older generations even blame it on witchcraft!
As I bike to and from work everyday, I pass by a high school and signs promoting HIV/AIDS awareness to local youth here in rural Pemba. To my dismay the words contraception and protection are not even mentioned once. Instead the local government seems to want advocate abstinence and "the changing of morals". Pemba high school is a boarding school, and to be perfectly frank, there is little for youth to do with their spare time (and there's lots of it) here in Pemba. So these kids end up turning to sex to occupy their time. I can't even count with my fingers as to how many single teenage mothers I have met here in rural Pemba alone. The high level of unprotected sex significantly increases the chance of spreading HIV/AIDS. To make matters worse, there is a myth here in rural Zambia that one can cure themselves of AIDS by having sex with a virgin! Abstinence, in my opinion, is not an option and nor is it a solution. The continued pouring and over-focus of international aid money on temporary anti-viral medication only delays and prolongs the problem instead of solving it. Protection and contraception, I feel, is the way forward.
I have invested myself into Zambia and I want to see the nation succeed. But as long as the issue is suppressed with avoidance and a lack of knowledge, HIV/AIDS will continue to ravage southern Africa.
Play safe! Use a condom! Below are pictures of the signs on route to Pemba high school.












So interesting Arthur! I'm wondering how effective these messages are. Shocking how widespread it is! What was the "litter" sign doing in the mix there? Are condoms easily accessible?
ReplyDelete