Road from Lusaka airport toward the city centreWhen I landed and walked off the plane, it seemed too good to be true. I was finally in Africa after two long days of travel. Fellow EWB OVS, Mark Hemsworth, was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule meet me at the Lusaka airport and show me around Lusaka (capital city). It was very nice to see a familiar face in such an unknown environment. It was a very great first day to start off my year here in Zambia.
After getting some Kwacha’s (Zambian currency) and purchasing a cell phone, Mark took me to the hustle and bustle of the Lusaka markets. It was beaming with energy, filled with colour, and the roads were with Zambians negotiating deals, making purchases. Children were running around. Women were selling vegetables, dried fish, and beans. Men were selling used clothing, DVD’s, bags, baked goods, etc…. Within just 10 hours of me being in Lusaka, this market experience was quite intense, to say the least.
After getting some Kwacha’s (Zambian currency) and purchasing a cell phone, Mark took me to the hustle and bustle of the Lusaka markets. It was beaming with energy, filled with colour, and the roads were with Zambians negotiating deals, making purchases. Children were running around. Women were selling vegetables, dried fish, and beans. Men were selling used clothing, DVD’s, bags, baked goods, etc…. Within just 10 hours of me being in Lusaka, this market experience was quite intense, to say the least.
Busy street markets of Lusaka along Lumumba Rd.To top off a fantastic day I was also fortunate enough to experience a home-cooked Zambian dinner with a Zambian family and my first foray into a local Zambia-bar. Mark then took me to meet his Zambian co-worker Rogers. All three of us walked within the compound where Rogers lives with his wife, Cleo and their adorable 3 year old son, Rogers Jr. We had a hearty meal of nshima with minced meat and veggies. It was absolutely delicious. I can confidently say that I look forward to a year filled with nshima!
Along with Rogers, Mark, and some of Rogers’ pals we went to a local bar. Mark and I being the only Westerners in the bar caused quite the positive stir and excitement. Zambia drinks that I learned to love within hours: Shake Shake, Lusaka Beer, Castle, Eagle, and Moti.
What a day!
Along with Rogers, Mark, and some of Rogers’ pals we went to a local bar. Mark and I being the only Westerners in the bar caused quite the positive stir and excitement. Zambia drinks that I learned to love within hours: Shake Shake, Lusaka Beer, Castle, Eagle, and Moti.
What a day!

No comments:
Post a Comment