Sunday, September 13, 2009

nshima nshima nshima

Maize (or more commonly known as corn) is the staple crop here in Zambia. There are multiple uses for maize. It can be made into beer. It can befurther processed at a mill and ground up into what they call mealie-meal. Households purchase the mealie meal and can be further made into porrdige and can be made into Zambia's (and Malawi) most common dish and staple food, nshima (dish on the right in above picture).


Maize --> Mealie-meal --> nshima


Nshima is served with a meat and a vegetable relish. You roll the nshima into a ball with one hand, make a compression with your thumb, and use it to pick up the delicious combination of meat n' veggies. I absolutely love it.

I absolutely love it. I finished all 3 lumps and pparently that's a lot. What can I say, I can take my carbs well. I look forward to a year of good grub.

At a tiny restaurant in Kamwala market

Zambian woman cooking nshima for customers in Kamwala market

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...that looks so yummy!
    bring me back a bite please ;)

    ReplyDelete